Italian Tomato Herb Soup
Category Tones Soups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Tone's Italian Seasoning Blend
- yogurt OR sour cream, optional
- Sage Croutons
- 4 slices sandwich bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Tone's Ground Sage
- In large (2 to 3 quart) microwavable-safe bowl, combine oil, carrot and onion. Cover; cook on HIGH (100% power) 6 to 8 minutes, stirring once, until vegetables are just tender.
- Add enough water to tomatoes to make 3-1/2 cups. Stir tomato mixture, tomato paste and Italian Herb seasoning into bowl. Cover; cook on HIGH (100% power) 3 to 4 minutes or until hot. Top each serving with a dollop of yogurt. Float herb croutons on soup or serve on the side.
- Sage Croutons: Trim crusts from 4 thin slices of sandwich bread. Combine olive oil with minced garlic; brush on bread slices. Sprinkle with sage. Bake at 400ºF for 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp and golden, turning once. Cut each slice into 4 triangles. Makes 16 croutons.